This month is our six year anniversary of living in our house. After moving a ridiculous number of times in a short space of time, I worried that we’d never be in one place for too long. My aim was five years, as that’s the amount of time you need to be somewhere so you only have to give one address on any kind of forms. I thought I would be looking to move after this time, but I can’t really be bothered with all that yet. So we’re looking to carry on redecorating some more of the house this year.
We’re going to start with the bedroom, as it was the first room we decorated. We had a few days to do it before our things got moved in and it is hideous. This is no exaggeration. Take a look.
See, even Poppy can’t look at it. Do not ask me why we went for a feature wall and a red feature wall at that. It’s bloomin’ awful and took about four coats of paint to achieve. The ‘cream’ is painted straight onto the wood chip *shudders* wall paper that was there when we moved in. Both Phil and I have removed wood chip before so we both knew what a hideous job it would be and when we were moving in, we didn’t have time to do it then. Plus, it’s probably covering some awful walls. Not only that but the built in wardrobes are really badly built and they don’t even close properly. All in all it is a very uninspiring room. For years, I have poured over pins of beautiful, relaxing, opulent and luxurious bedrooms on Pinterest, so much so, I dedicated a board to them. Here are a few of my current favourites:
[Images via their respective sources]
Judging by my Pinterest account, I seem to be drawn to plain walls, a mega comfy bed (not like the one we’ve got now) and a simple, clean room. We’ve got the simple room down to a T, but it’s the rest of it that needs a lot of attention. So here’s the plan:
- Strip the hideous wallpaper.
- Get in a plasterer to sort out the walls, including plastering over the red wall.
- Buy an awesome floor to ceiling wardrobe, with room for everything we need, including drawers and someway of storing all my make up and jewelry. I don’t want any other furniture in the bedroom, other than the wardrobes, bed and bed side tables.
- Paint the walls a light plain colour.
- Finally get a full length mirror.
- Get rid of the curtains and sort out some awesome blinds instead (need to be black out in order to stop Poppy rising at the crack of dawn in the summer)
- New lampshade
- New bed (in time)
- Make it light, bright and lush with no freakin’ hideous red feature wall.
Hopefully, we’ll be making a start on this soon, with the bulk of the work taking place over the Easter holidays. I can’t wait, as this room has been annoying me since the time I tried to move my clothes into the wardrobe and found that the wardrobe was too small for my hangers. I’ve been hating it ever since. I’ll let you know how we get on and if we can be rid of that red wall!