You may have noticed from some of my previous food posts that I am quite the fussy veggie. I am. Very fussy. This is why I like to look at a restaurants menu in advance. It’s not just so I can check that there’s a veggie option on it, it’s so that I’ll like the veggie option on it. My OH suggested I do a post about my weird food rules so that when I write about food, it all becomes clear! So here goes!
- Don’t put any kind of flavouring into my chocolate. I love chocolate. I like orange but I do not like them together. The same applies to mint, raspberries, anything. The only possible exception I can think of is chai. I can’t tell you why. It just is.
- Don’t ever give me soup, a smoothie or a yoghurt. I don’t like liquid and lumps mixed together. Once, on a meal out, I was unwell & fancied soup. I asked the waitress if the tomato soup had any lumps in. She didn’t really get it. I blame my mother for this. She force fed me vegetable soup when I was a child. It didn’t stay down. Unpleasant. Food & drink should be distinctively different.
- I don’t drink anything during a meal. I will before & after, but not during. Not quite sure why. * Exception: If I do drink during the meal, it’s probably because I don’t like something on my plate.
- Broccoli, water chestnuts & bamboo shoots are the food of the devil. I will not eat these. My (very patient) OH has had to tell people that I won’t eat broccoli for fear of me having to leave it when we’ve been going round to someones house for dinner. Yes I’ve eaten them & no I just don’t like them. Broccoli is quite a tricky one, as it is a staple for some veggie food. I will leave food if it’s got broccoli in. Those of you who know me know how unheard of this is!
- Creme brulee & cheesecake should only ever be vanilla flavour. If creme brulee is on the menu, I will have it unless it’s been RUINED by being flavoured. I have seen it made with orange. Mucky. If I wanted an orange flavour, I’d eat an orange. I don’t mind if there’s a little fruit on the plate or a little fruit sauce, but that’s as far as it goes. And don’t even get me started on lemon cheesecake!
- Lemon. I like lemons, especially a slice in my diet coke on a warm day. But don’t flavour cakes or pudding with them! What a waste!
- Sponge. Vanilla cake. Victoria sponge. Whatever you want to call, I think it’s far too sweet. Just give me a plate of the mixture & that’s all I need.
- Spiced chai is my favourite drink of all time. I like the vanilla too but I will never try the Peppermint or Mango. Why? See the above points. Don’t mix my food/drinks up! Mint should only be used in toothpaste and mango…well, it just isn’t for me.
- Fruit. It’s not a pudding. Don’t offer me fruit & try to get me to think that it’s a treat, as all puddings should be. Fruit is something I have to have so that I can reach my 5 a day. It’s not a treat or a splurge.
- I am a creature of habit. Once I find something I like, I will always have it. For example, ever since I was a teenager & started eating Chinese takeaway, I would always have the sweet & sour chicken. This has simply turned into sweet & sour tofu. If I ever changed & went for something else, it was always a huge let down. As takeaway is a bit of treat, I don’t want to be wasting this treat on some mucky disappointment. Hence the same choice. I know I’m not alone on this!
There is always one safe food with me – chips. I will always be happy eating chips no matter what (as long as they’re not cooked in beef dripping. Mucky!).
So. There you have it. Please note that these are MY food rules & not ones that I imagine people should start implementing on their lives!
I’d love to know what food rules you have, if any and what you think about mine! x