In honour of St David’s Day I have created a new board on my Pinterest page. It’s called ‘Welsh Love‘ & I will be adding to it over time. I come from Pembrokeshire & am hugely proud of my heritage. I am also proud of the products coming out of Wales. So many are local, using age old techniques & producing some beautiful items.
So far my board is mainly inspired by today’s Folksy homepage – what’s not to love! But I will be adding images from some of my favourite Welsh shops, like the much loved Melin Tregwynt & Wales at Home. The screen shot below should give you an idea of some the lush things to be had from Wales. Bore da!
If you’ve found any Welsh beauties then let me know! x
After a little bit of a hiatus, I’m back on the craft trail of making the kits that come with Mollie Makes. This week I chose the coin purse kit that came with issue number 6. It was really easy to do, which I’m relieved about as I have to go & start making dinner once I’ve made some new cards!
If you have 20 minutes, you could make this kit. I’m going to use mine to hold my headphones in my bag. They do that annoying thing of getting everywhere! It’s pretty cute, don’t ya think?!
One of my crafty resolutions was to make all the free projects that I get every month with my Mollie Makes magazine. Well, I haven’t finished them all, but I did think to myself that I should aim to do one every Sunday afternoon. I even wrote it in my Filofax!
I wasn’t sure which one to start with as I’ve only made the smart phone cover up to now. I wanted something that I could make quite quickly & on the sofa watching Borgen on iPlayer with my OH. So I opted for the buttons from issue 7.
I’m not the best sewer. I’m not very tidy & I’m not very familiar with the different stitches. This project seemed like quite a good little one to do & I want the buttons to go on a woolly hat that I hope to knit quite soon.
I was a bit disappointed that the whole image wouldn’t appear on the button. I’m sure if I was better at sewing I could’ve altered the pattern so that you could see the whole image but I’m not!
There were so many images to choose from in Mollie Makes so I went with the ones that would make me smile – A bird on a flower, a snowman and then I went a bit freestyle & used the umbrella from one of the other images.
It was quite difficult to put an accurate copy of the image onto the material provided. But I think that’s because I’m not a very confident at drawing & wanted to sketches to be perfect to help with my sewing!
Once I’d finished sewing my first image, I cut around it ready to put it on the button. However, I’d cut it too small & so it doesn’t cover the button completely. I’m gutted as the bird one is my favourite images. I think this one might have to stay on my notice board in my study!
By the time I’d completed all three, both my sewing & cutting had improved. I think I’ll use the umbrella on my hat as the snowman is so big that you can barely tell what it is! One down! x
A few months ago I attended a Cath Kidston craft night to launch her new book, Patch. At the event we were given material to make a suffolk puff cushion and we started making suffolk puffs.
Over the festive season, I decided that I wanted to finish it off & set about sewing some more suffolk puffs. 81 to be exact. 81 circles of fabric. I had no idea how long it would take to sew them. Yesterday, I’d finished all my paid work so thought I’d complete the whole thing in the morning. I only had to make about 12 more puffs, stitch them together, make the cushion & attach the 9×9 rows of suffolk puffs.
Well, needless to say I didn’t have it finished by lunch! I was working on it from 8 until 5.30pm…and it still wasn’t done! I’d sewed the rows of puffs together & made the cushion cover. All I had to do was attach the puffs to the cover using slip stitch, which I hadn’t used before.
Technically, I was supposed to be working on a website this morning but I wasn’t going to leave the cushion sitting there – mocking me! So I’ve spent this morning attaching the top to the bottom. And it is finished! It looks pretty good. My cover isn’t exactly square so it isn’t sitting on the puffs at the correct angle but at this point, after this many hours, I don’t care! It’s finished and that’s enough for me! I had no idea that it would take this long to complete. This is why handmade products are so expensive. It took me over 10 hours to make. If I was to charge for this, my time alone would mean it cost £60.80. It’s a good job that I got the materials for free!