My Mollie Makes kit crafty resolutions continues! This week I wanted to make the felt rings. I really wish that I could make the kit so that they look as lovely as the images on the packet but never seem to quite achieve it!
Again the templates are available on the Mollie Makes Makespot which makes it so much easier to make.
I found this quite a quick but somewhat difficult project. I am not a sewing expert. I don’t have a glue gun or any glue that would work with fabric. This meant more sewing which meant more puncture wounds in my fingers!
Two of the rings work. But I don’t quite know what went wrong with the grey one. I think that I’d just had enough & wanted to be done. I was hungry & wanted to get on with my knitting! But I’m glad they’re done. Making the kits is definitely helping me with my sewing. I’m getting much better at sewing in straight lines so it’s totally worth making them.
What crafty bits have you been up to this weekend? x
One of my crafty resolutions was to make all the free projects that I get every month with my Mollie Makes magazine. Well, I haven’t finished them all, but I did think to myself that I should aim to do one every Sunday afternoon. I even wrote it in my Filofax!
I wasn’t sure which one to start with as I’ve only made the smart phone cover up to now. I wanted something that I could make quite quickly & on the sofa watching Borgen on iPlayer with my OH. So I opted for the buttons from issue 7.
I’m not the best sewer. I’m not very tidy & I’m not very familiar with the different stitches. This project seemed like quite a good little one to do & I want the buttons to go on a woolly hat that I hope to knit quite soon.
I was a bit disappointed that the whole image wouldn’t appear on the button. I’m sure if I was better at sewing I could’ve altered the pattern so that you could see the whole image but I’m not!
There were so many images to choose from in Mollie Makes so I went with the ones that would make me smile – A bird on a flower, a snowman and then I went a bit freestyle & used the umbrella from one of the other images.
It was quite difficult to put an accurate copy of the image onto the material provided. But I think that’s because I’m not a very confident at drawing & wanted to sketches to be perfect to help with my sewing!
Once I’d finished sewing my first image, I cut around it ready to put it on the button. However, I’d cut it too small & so it doesn’t cover the button completely. I’m gutted as the bird one is my favourite images. I think this one might have to stay on my notice board in my study!
By the time I’d completed all three, both my sewing & cutting had improved. I think I’ll use the umbrella on my hat as the snowman is so big that you can barely tell what it is! One down! x
A little while ago I blogged about having this little blog of mine appear in print in Popular Crafts. One of the features of Popular Crafts is their book group. The editor suggested that I try one. So I picked ‘A Busy Girl’s Guide to Sewing’ by Carrie Maclennan & decided I’d make a skirt out of an old sheet. Don’t ask me why. I’ve no experience of dress making at all, which is probably why I opted for it.
My OH bet me £50 that I wouldn’t finish it, silly billy! I totally did, as you can see below. It has made me think that I should make more clothes out of old, unused fabric. I have a massive fabric pile that is sitting there doing nothing so I will be turning my hand to more dressmaking in the future.
I really enjoyed reviewing this book. It’s a great book that I know I’ll go back to again and again. It has a great feel to it too and loads of advice for anyone wanting to get more sewing in their lives.
I had a massive grin on my face when I bought my copy of PC in Smiths. Seeing myself in a magazine is something I’d never thought I’d see! If you haven’t clicked over to Popular Crafts then you should. There’s loads of good stuff on there or failing that, why not follow them on Twitter? Go on, you know you want to!
A few months ago I attended a Cath Kidston craft night to launch her new book, Patch. At the event we were given material to make a suffolk puff cushion and we started making suffolk puffs.
Over the festive season, I decided that I wanted to finish it off & set about sewing some more suffolk puffs. 81 to be exact. 81 circles of fabric. I had no idea how long it would take to sew them. Yesterday, I’d finished all my paid work so thought I’d complete the whole thing in the morning. I only had to make about 12 more puffs, stitch them together, make the cushion & attach the 9×9 rows of suffolk puffs.
Well, needless to say I didn’t have it finished by lunch! I was working on it from 8 until 5.30pm…and it still wasn’t done! I’d sewed the rows of puffs together & made the cushion cover. All I had to do was attach the puffs to the cover using slip stitch, which I hadn’t used before.
Technically, I was supposed to be working on a website this morning but I wasn’t going to leave the cushion sitting there – mocking me! So I’ve spent this morning attaching the top to the bottom. And it is finished! It looks pretty good. My cover isn’t exactly square so it isn’t sitting on the puffs at the correct angle but at this point, after this many hours, I don’t care! It’s finished and that’s enough for me! I had no idea that it would take this long to complete. This is why handmade products are so expensive. It took me over 10 hours to make. If I was to charge for this, my time alone would mean it cost £60.80. It’s a good job that I got the materials for free!