Let’s get one thing straight. I am not a blogging expert but I’ve been blogging for a few years now and have learnt a few things along the way. I still make mistakes, but hey, doesn’t everyone? I’ve started a Pinterest board to collect hints and tips about blogging.
- Write about what you love. If you’re not passionate about what you’re writing about, it’s going to be painful, for both you and your readers.
- Always include images, whether they’re a little bit shoddy, like some of mine, quickly taken on my iPhone or gorgeous ones, people like to see something pretty.
- Use WordPress. It’s my favourite platform as you can do sooo much with it. I self host, using Krystal who are Amazing.
- Link back. Whether it’s to another blogger who inspired you, an online article, a Pinterest board or a website.
- Credit images. If you’re using someone elses image, credit them. I know it can be tricky, but there are lots of places that can help you find the original image. (I try to use my own as much as possible, as it’s easier)
- Don’t worry about spelling. Lots of people proofread and spell check to the nth degree. I read it through once, use the spell check. I miss words out and make spelling errors. So what?! So does the BBC so I feel in good company.
- Be honest.
- Don’t take things too seriously.
- Reply to comments as much as possible.
- Don’t stress over stats, especially if you’re starting out. Write good content, share it (but don’t overshare) and readers will come. A good way to spread the word is getting involved in blogger networking, like Blognix, who have a Twitter chat tonight and a conference coming up in June.
What do you think? What’s your top blogging tip?