One of the blogs that I follow over on Bloglovin’ is Design Sponge. A few weeks ago I saw a lovely post on how to make a Spring Applique Pillow, using Liberty fabric. This really interested me as I had an old wool cushion cover that was in terrible condition. So I decided to have a go at making my own cushion cover. Making a cushion cover is one thing, but this one had added difficulty in that it required Wonderweb and applique – I’d not used either before so was a little apprehensive. I made sure I set aside plenty of time & got all the instructions together then set to work.
The cushion I needed to cover was 2″ bigger than the one in the blog post so I had to increase the cushion fabric and make about 4 more fabric chevrons. This was fine, as I had plenty of fabric, but did make for quite a lengthy applique process!
The Finished Article
Even Poppy approves! It’s by far the best thing I’ve ever made, with very few mistakes. I think that’s mainly to do with the instructions being so clear and me making sure I followed them to the letter. I might not be ready to join the Great British Sewing Bee, but my sewing skills are definitely improving! What do you think? Have you made anything recently?
A few months ago I attended a Cath Kidston craft night to launch her new book, Patch. At the event we were given material to make a suffolk puff cushion and we started making suffolk puffs.
Over the festive season, I decided that I wanted to finish it off & set about sewing some more suffolk puffs. 81 to be exact. 81 circles of fabric. I had no idea how long it would take to sew them. Yesterday, I’d finished all my paid work so thought I’d complete the whole thing in the morning. I only had to make about 12 more puffs, stitch them together, make the cushion & attach the 9×9 rows of suffolk puffs.
Well, needless to say I didn’t have it finished by lunch! I was working on it from 8 until 5.30pm…and it still wasn’t done! I’d sewed the rows of puffs together & made the cushion cover. All I had to do was attach the puffs to the cover using slip stitch, which I hadn’t used before.
Technically, I was supposed to be working on a website this morning but I wasn’t going to leave the cushion sitting there – mocking me! So I’ve spent this morning attaching the top to the bottom. And it is finished! It looks pretty good. My cover isn’t exactly square so it isn’t sitting on the puffs at the correct angle but at this point, after this many hours, I don’t care! It’s finished and that’s enough for me! I had no idea that it would take this long to complete. This is why handmade products are so expensive. It took me over 10 hours to make. If I was to charge for this, my time alone would mean it cost £60.80. It’s a good job that I got the materials for free!