This week I blogged about replacing some seat pads using fabric from the lovely Melin Tregwynt. While I was doing it, I had an idea about using some of the fabric as placemats. We didn’t have any spares when people came over to tea & I hadn’t found any in the shops that I liked, well, none that didn’t cost an arm & a leg!
So, with my new-found sewing machine confidence, I set to work. Now that I know what some of the buttons & wheels meant on the machine, I feel that I can pretty much sew anything! I realise that this may be a tad over opemistic, but I’m actually enjoying using the machine & happy that I don’t have to battle with it.
Anyway, the remnents that I’d bought were practically perfect for placemat size on our little kitchen table. So I just had to trim them to size & stitch the edges to prevent them from fraying. While this was a simple task, & I even got to use the reverse key (yes, before I discovered this I was simply pulling the fabric!), I had to get some more bobbins. When I finally got the right size (!) I discovered that my Nana had wound a bobbin with black cotton. This made me smile, as does finding half used cotton reels from my Nana’s huge sewing box. My Nana also has a needle wallet with her name on it, ‘The Boss’, which is very fitting. It also has a patch from her time serving with the Royal Engineers during the Second World War! I love this sewing box & am happy to have the change to use it whenever I can. I will think of her every time I use the placemats, hemmed with her cotton. x
A little while ago I blogged about a lovely place called Melin Tregwynt. I finally got around to putting the remnant of fabrics to good use. I bought some old chairs from a friend a while ago. They’ve been sitting with some pretty 80’s fabric on & not the cool retro kind!
I remembered reading something about recovering seat pads in Kirstie Allsopp’s Homemade Home book. So I had a look to try & gauge how easy/difficult it was going to be. My verdict: not too tricky. So I set to work.
Initially I pieced the fabric together. It was all in small pieces so I had to sew it together. This gave me another excuse to use my sewing machine! It was super easy to do. I had to hot foot it over to Homebase to buy some upholstery pins.
The book recommended that I use staples & a staple gun but as I don’t have these & wanting this project to be as cheap as possible, I bought a pack of 50 pins for £3.09 & used about half. I didn’t replace the seat pads as again, I just wanted to replace the cover & keep the whole thing as cheap as possible.
I hoped that
they’d be okay & when I removed the other fabric, the pads were in a decent enough condition. I hammered in the pins, pulled the fabric tight & hey presto! Task complete. All I need to do now is to paint the chairs but I’m still undecided on colour. But for now I’m happy with how they look & happy that I’ve got another job crossed off the list! x
For a while now, my OH has had issues with our bedroom curtains. We have a street light just outside our bedroom window & now that it’s on a lot more, he’s having issues with the bedroom being too light. So we needed blackout material on our curtains. In a bid to save some pennies, I decided to make them, never having made anything so big on my sewing machine! Easy, I thought. I bought the material from the lovely people at Masons, where the assistant gave me no end of advice. I love that place. She cut the material to size & I’d just need to hem the fabric, add some heading tape & attach the finished article to each curtain. So I got my sewing machine out & set to work.
Right from the start I was having problems & my instruction manual was no real help but Twitter & my mum came to the rescue. The tension wasn’t right. After a bit of fiddling with a few of the different buttons & wheels on my machine, a lot of wated cotton & loads of frustration and untypable swear words, I finally got it. Having spent about two hours to get to this point, the rest of the hemming didn’t take too long. By this point I hadn’t really stabbed myself with too many pins & I was beginning to feel pretty confident with what I was doing.
Then it came time to add the heading tape. This was so easy to do, as the heading tape simply slotted over the top of the fabric. I pinned it into place & stiched it on. It was super easy to do. All I had to do then was attach them to the curtains. I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to do this. I knew that I could leave them hang once I’d attached them using the curtain hooks. So I’ve decided to leave it like that for now. I know I can go back & stitch them onto the curtain if I want to. Plus I’d had enough by then and just wanted to get them up. So I put the curtain hooks through the heading tape on the blackout material & the curtains.
They hang pretty well & you can’t see the blackout material when the curtains are open or when they’re drawn. I’m pretty impressed with how easy it was, once I got the tension on my machine sorted. Now all I have to decide is whether I make my own curtains next time. Not sure how much my sewing skills have developed! x
As you know I was given the first issue of Mollie Makes magazine. With came a free crafty gift – A make your own smart phone cover. It is a great idea but I already have something similar from suezybees at Folksy (seen here). But this didn’t stop me wanting to make it. Fortunately my sister needed a case & had a birthday coming up so I thought I’d make it for her.
Have a look at how I got on. I really enjoyed making it & it took me about 3 hours from start to finish. I’m very much a beginner at this kind of thing but was able to complete it. Let me know what you think!